Answered By: Aaron Dobbs
Last Updated: 2014.Aug.14     Views: 143

Yes, you will need to acquire "Public Viewing Rights" for these films.

For any films shown literally outside of the classroom, even if they are for educational purposes, the sponsors must purchase performance rights.

See the Public Performance Rights page on the library web site for resources and links to lists of films for which we already have secured rights. Most PBS productions, for example, come with public performance rights. It does not matter whether a faculty member introduces the films, a panel speaks before or after, etc. as far as the law is concerned.

Movies shown in the classroom related to the content of a specific course will fall under the education exception in Copyright law.

Contact Us

Ask Us Anything

Phone | Text | Email
Research Consultations
Common Questions: Answered