Answered By: Reference Librarian
Last Updated: 2018.Aug.07     Views: 55

Each full time undergraduate student is charged the Ed Service, Health, Student Union, Activity, Recreation and Technology Tuition fees. Full time graduate students are charged the Ed Service, Health, Student Union and Technology Tuition fees. Part time students are charged prorated amounts of each fee. These fees are established and set by the State System of Higher Education's Board of Governors and/or Shippensburg University’s Council of Trustees.

All of the above noted fees are mandatory and are also charged to all students taking internships and doing student teaching.

Student Activity Fee

This fee is paid by all undergraduate full and part time students, and by graduate students during the summer session only, to support the Shippensburg University Student Association (SA). The SA provides activities ranging from support of intercollegiate athletics to recreational and cultural programming. Such events are made available to all students, most without additional charge.

Student Union Fee

 The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State System's Board of Governors require that the cost of construction, operating and maintaining student union buildings on all State System campuses be paid by students enrolled at each campus. This fee, which is charged to all full and part time graduate and undergraduate students, is placed in a restricted fund specifically for expenses associated with the Ceddia Union Building. All students have access to activities in the CUB, including the University Store and snack bar.

Educational Services Fee

This fee, paid by all full and part-time graduate and undergraduate students, is restricted specifically for purposes of providing instructional and library equipment, materials, and supplies. It is used to purchase items such as classroom materials, library books, periodical subscriptions, media services and other instructional equipment. The Educational Service Fee is charged to all students for all courses regardless of the geographic location of the courses.

Recreation Fee

This fee is paid by all full and part-time undergraduate students. It is used to fund the construction, maintenance/operational and personnel costs related to the student recreation building and the outdoor recreational facilities.


Comprehensive Health Fee

This fee is paid by all full and part-time graduate and undergraduate students. It is used to finance, in part, the Etter Health Center and its various programs of treatments and education and the Counseling Center. Students have access to the services of the health center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Under the policies of the Board of Governors of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, auxiliary enterprises, such as health centers, must be financially self-sufficient. The Comprehensive Health Fee is not an insurance fee and must be paid whether or not the student has his/her own health insurance.

Technology Tuition Fee

This fee is established by the Board of Governors of the State System of Higher Education. The purposes of the technology tuition fee are to acquire, install and maintain up-to-date and emerging technologies for the purpose of enhancing student-learning outcomes to provide equitable access to technology resources to ensure that State System graduates are competitive in the technologically sophisticated workplace. The technology tuition fee is not a user fee, but is instead a fee that is paid by all students, proportional to their enrollment status (full-time/part-time) and to their residency status (in-state/out-of-state).

Off Campus Support Fee 

                This fee is charged to help offset the costs of specialized support associated with teaching courses at unique off-campus sites. Such costs include proctor and courier services, mileage for faculty travel to off-campus locations, facility rental and support fees, and onsite support provided by Professional, Continuing and Distance Education (PCDE). This fee is charged to students taking courses at the following locations: Dixon UC, LIU, Milton Hershey School, HACC-Gettysburg, Hanover, York, Spring Grove and Northampton.

Orientation Fee 

This fee is charged to all new undergraduate students in their first semester at the university and is payable even if the orientation program is not attended.

Field Placement Fee 

Effective Fall 2010 this fee will be charged to teacher certification students in Business, Arts and Science majors and the College of Education and Human Services. The fee will be based on registration in particular courses and will start in the sophomore year. It is used to offset the cost of arranging field placements and supervision for candidates seeking teacher certification.

Placement Re-Testing Fee

This fee is charged to students who must re-take a placement exam. It is used to offset the cost of the exam itself and the personnel time associated with it.

Common Damage Fee

                This fee is charged to all students residing in campus housing to help cover the cost of repairs for damages in the common areas of the dorms. Source: Student Accounts. Contact: 717-477-1211,

Related Topics

Contact Us

Ask Us Anything

Phone | Text | Email
Research Consultations
Common Questions: Answered